Thinking about Language
Page no- 96
1.1 Look at these words: upkeep, downpour, walk-in. they are built up from a verb (keep, pour, go, drop, walk) and an adverb or a particle (up, down, under, out, in).
Use these words appropriately in the sentences below. You may consult a dictionary.
- A heavy ________ has been forecast due to low pressure in the Bay of Bengal.
- Rakesh will __________major surgery tomorrow morning.
- My brother is responsible for the ___________ of our family.
- The ___________ rate for this accountancy course to attend a ____________ interview.
Ans. (i) downpour
- Arithmetic Progressions Chapter 5 NCERT Solutions For Class 10 CBSE Mathematics (Exercise 3 and 4)
- Arithmetic Progressions Chapter 5 NCERT Solutions For Class 10 CBSE Mathematics (Exercise 1 and 2)
- Some Applications of Trigonometry Chapter 9 Extra Questions and Solutions For Class 10 CBSE Mathematics
- Circles Chapter 10 Extra Questions and Solutions For Class 10 CBSE Mathematics
- Coordinate Geometry Chapter 7 Extra Questions and Solutions For Class 10 CBSE Mathematics
2. Now fill in the blanks in the sentences given below by combining the verb given in brackets with one of the words from the box as appropriate.
|Over by through out up down|
- The Army attempted unsuccessfully to __________ the Government. (throw)
- Scientists are on the brink of a major ___________ in cancer research. (break)
- The State Government plans to build a ______________ for Bhubaneswar to speed
- Gautama’s ____________ on life changed when he realised that the world is full of sorrow.
- Rakesh seemed unusually ____________ after the game. (cast)
Ans. (i) overthrow
II. Notice how these –ing and –ed adjectives are used.
- Chess is an interesting game. I am very interested in chess.
(b)Going trekking in the Himalayas we are very excited about the
this summer is an exciting idea. trek.
(c)Are all your school books this He was bored as he had no
Boring? friends there.
The –ing adjectives show the qualities that chess, trekking, or these books have: they cause interest, excitement, or boredom in you. The –ed/ -en adjectives show your mental state, or your physical state: how you feel in response to ideas, events or things.
- Think of suitable –ing or –ed adjectives to answer the following questions. You may also use words from the given above.
How would you describe
- a good detective serial on television? _____________
- a debate on your favourite topic ‘Homework Should Be Banned’?_______________
- how you feel when you stay indoors due to incessant rain?
- how you feel when you open a present? ____________
- how you feel when you watch your favourite programme on television? ________________
- the look on your mother’s face as you waited in a queue?
- how you feel when tracking a tiger in a tiger reserve forest?
- the story you have recently read, or a film you have seen?